This grinder sandwich has become very famous on the internet now. And once you make it, there will be no questioning why. This easy grinder sandwich recipe is a combination of the thick toasted bread, the savoury flavour of the Italian meats, and the refreshing creamy salad.
The best thing about is that it takes just minutes to ready, and you can serve them to your friends and family. It is a loaded sandwich recipe that you can pair with chips, salad, etc. So, keep reading this article to learn how to make this grinder sandwich recipe at home.
Easy Grinder Sandwich Recipe
Here’s the complete guide on the best grinder sandwich recipe to learn.
Lunch Meat: – Use thinly sliced salami, pepperoni, ham and Turkey meat. You can also change up what deli meats you use.
Grinder Salad: – Use mayonnaise, Italian dressing, banana peppers, salt and pepper.
Cheese: – Pepper Jack and mozzarella are what I used while some grinders use grated Parmesan cheese. That is up to you which cheese you use.
Rolls: – I used a long Italian bread roll. You can also use any bread or large roll you have.
Toppings: – Extra banana peppers, tomatoes, and any other toppers can be used for toppings. Some people like a red onion sliced and served on top of the grinders.
How to Make?
This easy sandwich recipe is very simple to make at home with basic ingredients. These ingredients are easily available in most houses. If not available, you can purchase them from your local grocery store or online.
In the first step, you have to make the grinder salad for this. Then add in your lettuce, mayonnaise, Italian dressing, salt, pepper, and banana peppers with a little juice.
Now mix it well and place it aside. Then slice your long rolls, and put sliced cheese on one side.
Add turkey and top with salami, ham, and pepperoni.
Leave in the oven to heat it and melt the cheese. Then remove from the oven.
Add on sliced tomatoes, grinder salad, and banana peppers if you like. Fold together and serve your family and friends.
Helpful Tips & Modifications
There are a few tips and swaps for making these easy grinder sandwiches. This is such an easy sandwich that you can easily make at home.
You can freely use any style of roll you want. I used a hoagie roll but you can use it according to your choice.
Swap with pepperoncini peppers instead of banana peppers. Our home just had banana peppers so that is what I used.
I used pepper jack cheese and mozzarella cheese but traditionally Italian grinders use parmesan cheese. Freshly grate and sprinkle on top if you like.
I will recommend you to use 2-3 different varieties of meats as they add tons of flavour. But you can use the meat of your choice.
A drizzle of olive oil, red onions, green bell peppers, and other toppers can also be used for this easy grinder roll sandwich. You can freely pile on any toppings you like.
Where is a sandwich called a grinder?
Usually, New Englanders call their large sandwiches grinders. Delaware, Western Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Vermont and parts of Connecticut and Rhode Island are also common to say grinders.
What makes a hero sandwich?
Hero sandwiches are a large long loaf of bread that is piled full of lettuce, meats, cheese, etc.
What is the main difference between a sandwich and a grinder?
When you use cold meats and cheese then it’s called a sandwich. Grinders usually have a hot filling where you heat the meat and cheese both.
- 4 long hoagie rolls
- 4 slices of deli pepper jack cheese
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese
- 12 slices of deli ham
- 12 slices of thin salami
- 8 slices deli turkey lunch meat
- 20 pepperoni slices
- 8 ounces shredded lettuce
- ½ cup olive garden Italian dressing
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup banana peppers
- 1 tablespoon banana pepper juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Sliced tomatoes
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees before starting.
- Add your chopped lettuce, Italian dressing, mayonnaise, banana peppers, banana pepper juice, salt, and pepper in a medium size mixing bowl. Toss well to mix it.
- Place the grinder salad to the side and leave it to soak in all the flavours.
- Now slice your rolls in half lengthwise and open them up. Then add sliced pepper jack cheese on one side of the bun.
- Top with slices of salami, ham, and pepperoni. Now add your sliced turkey on the other half of the bun and top with mozzarella cheese.
- Toss the grinder sandwiches in the oven and cook for about 5 minutes to mix the cheese well.
- Now remove from oven when cheese is mixed well. Then add on sliced tomatoes, and grinder lettuce salad, fold sandwiches together and serve to your family and friends.
Don’t forget to share this helpful article with your friends and also on social media.